Every time I’d see a photo of Glacier National Park, I’d have a “Wow, holy crap” moment.
Montana was the last state in the western US (not including Alaska) that I hadn’t been to, so I figured my 3-week road trip would be a great time to hit it up. I would have loved to do some rock climbing or some more hardcore mountaineering while there, but I was partnerless. So I did some research online and saw that the Highline Trail was supposed to be a pretty spectacular 15-mile dayhike. I looked at some topographical maps and saw a small mountain (Haystack Butte at 7,486′) pretty close to the trail, so I figured I’d hit it up and tag a summit while in Montana. I also did another side-hike diversion to a pass that offered a pretty spectacular view of a glacier.
Overall, the hike and climb were just what I wanted. The scenery was spectacular and the hike interesting. Oh, and I did see a small black bear from my car on my way to the trailhead.
Here are my times and mileage info:
- 7:45 – Left Logan Pass, 6640′
- 8:50 – Made it to the pass between Haystack Butte and the big mountain to the east. 3.58 mi, 6947′
- 9:15 – Summit of Haystack Butte. 4.37 mi, 7468′
- 9:30 – Left the top
- 9:54 – Back on trail at the pass. 5.18 mi
- 10.53 – Made it to the side trail that went to the glacier overlook. 8.42 mi, 6571′
- 11:24 – Made it to the pass/glacier overlook. 9.27 mi, 7537′
- 11:34 – Left the pass/overlook
- 12:10 – Made it to the “chalet”
- 12:15 – Left the “chalet”
- 1:10 – Finish of the hike at The Loop on the Going to the Sun Road. 14.88 mi, 4227′
I hiked faster than I thought I would, and instead of camping in the park another night, I drove to my sister’s house in Seattle. I got in at about midnight, making for a long, long day.
» SUV RVing: How to Travel, Camp, Sleep, Explore, and Thrive in the Ultimate Tiny House
» 101 Rock Climbing Tips and Tricks: Tips for Better Sport Climbing, Trad Climbing, Multi-Pitch Climbing, Rappelling, and More
» Hiking Arches National Park: An Opinionated Guide to the Park's Best Hikes
» Everest Pilgrim: A Solo Trek to Nepal's Everest Base Camp and Beyond
» Himalayan Pilgrim: A Chronicle of Independent Trekking Through Nepal's Less-Traveled Regions
» Annapurna Pilgrim: A Solo Trek of Nepal's Annapurna Circuit in Winter
» 365 Blog Post Ideas: Years of Blogging Ideas for Any Niche